Setting Up Your Event
- Navigate to the event section of Slate by clicking on the calendar icon, then click on the “New Event” button at the top.
- In the “Details” tab, enter the following information:
- Page title – Enter the name of the event as it should externally appear to the student.
- Internal name – If different from the external name, enter the internal name.
- Template – Leave as blank.
- Folder – Select your college/unit’s folder. If no folder has been set up for your college/unit yet, select “Other” and type in your college/unit name.
Note: Do not select Admissions folders. Many are public, meaning students can see and sign up for all events within that folder on our website.
- Realm – Select your college/unit as the realm. By choosing your realm, you make sure only people associated with your academic unit can make edits or change your events.
- Status – Leave as “Tentative.” Once the event is finalized, select “Confirmed/Active.”
- Date – Enter the date and time the event will begin and end.
- All other fields can remain as is/blank.
- In the “Location” tab, enter the name of the event’s location and address.
- In the “Description” tab, enter a brief description of the event. Note that this description will be viewed by the student when signing up, so it needs to be both accurate and grammatically correct.
- In the “Limits” tab, enter the registration limit (the total number of students and guests who can attend the event). The waitlist limit should be left blank.
Editing Your Event
- Once your event has been created, you will see all information associated with the event. To edit any details related to the event, select “Edit” in the upper-right-hand corner.
- The URL you’ll use for students to sign up for your event is also included on this page. If you’d like to edit the name of this URL, select “Edit URL.”
Editing the Sign-Up Form
- To review and/or edit your sign-up form, select “Edit Form” in the upper-right-hand corner.
- Your form will include default fields. You can tweak, add, and delete fields based on your event needs using the tools on the right-hand side of the page. In general, events and sign up forms should ask for at least: name, email, and birthday or entry term.
Editing the Communications
- To add communications to your event, select “Edit Communications.”
Admissions typically has five communications per event:
- Confirmation Page (seen by student online immediately once he/she submits the form)
- Confirmation Email (received by student once he/she signs up)
- Reminder Email (received by student XX hours prior to event)
- Follow-Up Email (received by student XX hours after event)
- Cancellation Email (received by student if he/she cancels)
- To add a communication, select “New Mailing,” choosing the options that make sense for your event.
- Once you hit “save,” select “edit message” to craft the message for each communication you add.
And now your have a Slate event!